What to Bring!

Here's a non-comprehensive list of what I brought based on what camping veteran fiance says and what the official Michinoku Shiokaze Trail site recommends.

What I brought:

Husband's camping backpack, of unknown capacity. Shiokaze site tells me I need a 20 L pack for a day trip, a 30-40 L pack for if I'm going a couple of days and staying in hotels, 50 L or more if I'm camping and bringing a tent. Husband told me I won't need more than 30 L even if I'm camping, and he was right.









 
Hat and sunscreen. I have had a lifelong bias against hats, because they never look right, but on the the other hand, I don't tan. I burn, and then I burn some more.









Maps! See the official website for map downloads. You need to print FULL SIZE English maps, or print smaller size English maps and get the Japanese maps mailed to you for details.
Do not make the terminally stupid mistake I did and go without official maps.

Tent, borrowed from husband. (Not pictured) Had never set up a tent before, so did a practice run inside apartment beforehand.

Thingy to put under tent:









This proved to be so valuable, because it rained when I was camping. This thingy made everything so dry and happy.

Sleeping bag (Not pictured) Could not find my sleeping bag, so brought husband's.

Fancy water bottle from uncle.










 

A bell and a compass. The compass was a recommendation from website, and turned out to be 1000% necessary. The bell was so I didn't meet Mr. Bear. (Not that I needed to worry that much about Mr. Bear, because lots of the trail isn't in the mountains. But, on the other hand, I read Bill Bryson.)
*A note about the Tsuki no Wa bear. So named because of the moon shaped mark on its chest, it does not want to meet you, let alone eat you. It would highly prefer to live out its days peacefully eating berries and fish. The bell just gives it a better chance at avoiding you.










Food (not pictured). Again, great swaths of this trail are in civilization, so I planned to eat in restaurants supplemented with convenience store runs. HOWEVER there were no convenience stores. Brought bread and powdered peanut butter, snax, instant coffee, was chronically hungry. Regretted passing by every store I passed by. Buy all the food!

Old faithful running shoes (Not pictured). Official website recommends hiking shoes, but a lot of this trail was paved and I was too cheap to buy new shoes. I managed to make it through the first two trips with old shoes, but just the idea of avoiding some pain makes me regret my decision.

Towel, toothbrush toothpaste shampoo and soap, bandaids and ointment, bug repellent, a few packs of tissues, digital camera, binoculars, bird field guide, raincoat, crank radio, and flashlight. These are, respectively: so I could take a shower and not be filthy, in case of blisters, so I didn't get eaten alive, in case nature calls, to document things, because if I didn't do this a rare bird would have appeared once every 10 feet and I would have been the shame of the birding community, because rain happened, and because emergencies happen.

Things I did not take:

Big whiny cat:












Little whiny cat:












Husband, not pictured, but ridiculously handsome. Because he has to work.

Spats, those weird sticks people like to use, and various cooking implements.

3 件のコメント:

  1. What? No spats?! You are missing out.

    返信削除
  2. Whiny cats kept busy whining at fiance when he was not working.
    I don`t understand spats...

    返信削除